Today I am sharing how to prepare fabric for a patchwork quilt. This is one of my favourite quilts to make. It’s also my most popular style of signature quilts within the Wedding Collection.
Steps To Prepare Fabric for A Patchwork Quilt
- Prepare layout – I use the EQ4 Computer Program to draft a visual pattern in the colours that I want and makes it easy to rearrange the fabric examples into a pattern that is pleasing to me. If you do not have a computer program, you could also use it the traditional way with graph paper and pencil crayons. I did this for years and it worked very well.
2. Purchase the fabric. In this specific example, the bride had sent me a photo with her wedding colours so I had a sense of what she was looking for.
3. Determine how many squares of each colour you will require for the quilt top.
4. Cut the pieces – making your very own “kit”.
5. Sew the pieces to assemble your quilt top. Remember to put the right sides of the fabric together and sew using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
In my next post I will share how to piece the 9-patch pieces.
Check out the Periscope video I did on this topic – perfect for the visual and audio learner.